It has come to my attention that the default configuration of PF in FreeBSD will block legitimate outgoing IGMP messages.

PF is currently not the default firewall in FreeBSD. Anyone using multicast in any way, even for link-scope multicasts (224.x.x.x/24), will be affected by this issue if they use PF as their firewall.

This issue was described in this thread:
   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2006-June/002259.html

The documentation does state that allow-opts needs to be specified explicitly -- there is no fine grained control for the IPv4 options actually filtered, however, and currently the IP Router Alert option is handled in the main path in all BSD derived systems.

Please let me know if you have encountered this issue, so that we can get started on a workaround.

cheers
BMS