Yes but I DO have a default route.. I tried putting one in, removing it, putting it back, rebooting.. The problem is ZEBRA listens to the socket and uses 10-15% cpu because of these messages.. It doesn't happen on -RELEASE though so hmmmm.. I guess I could hack it to skip over the reporting of the message.. probably be good in the future, but something is wrong because I've added a default and removed it also so maybe something with the -STABLE code that changed something in the routing area..

Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
Paul wrote:
Get these with GRE tunnel on
FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #5: Sun May 11 19:00:57 EDT 2008 :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ROUTER amd64
But do not get them with 7.0-RELEASE

Any ideas what changed? :)  Wish there was some sort of changelog..
# of messages per second seems consistent with packets per second on GRE interface.. No impact in routing, but definitely impact in cpu usage for all processes monitoring the route messages.

RTM_MISS is actually fairly common when you don't have a default route.

Messages which get enqueued don't necessarily get delivered -- and very few processes actually listen to the routing socket actively like this, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's a real concern for you then you could try hacking in a sysctl to tell the radix trie code not to issue RTM_MISS messages on the routing socket.