Peter Jeremy wrote:
On 2008-Jun-26 22:06:11 +0200, Giulio Ferro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I guess what I could do was to "poison" their arp cache for each
address with a "is-at" message. Is there a way to force the sending
of these messages for all the addresses of an interface?

The kernel should send out gratuitous ARP requests whenever you assign
an address to an interface.  You could confirm that this is happening
by tcpdumping the interface whilst you add aliases.

Rummaging around in ports, you might find net/arping or net/p5-Net-ARP
useful if you want to manually generate gratuitous ARP requests.

I have bad news for you all: this doesn't seem to happen for alias interfaces. I've just tried to replicate what happened days ago. I've verified that only the base (non alias) interface sends proper is-at messages. The aliases don't....

I could't either ping from one of those addresses or ping to one of them until
I isssued:
arping -S aliased-address router-address

The router didn't know the mac addresses had changed until then...

Can anyone confirm this?