Dear Paul,

what could cause this?

*) kern.polling.idle_poll enabled?
*) kern.polling.user_frac ?
*) kern.polling.reg_frac ?
*) kern.polling.burst_max ?
*) kern.polling.each_burst ?

I tried tons of different values for these and nothing made any significant difference.
Idle polling makes a difference, allows more pps, but still errors.
Without idle polling it seems PPS is limited to HZ * descriptors, or 1000 * 256 or 512 but 1000 * 1024 is the same as 512.. 4000 * 256 or 2000 * 512 works but starts erroring 600kpps (SMP right now but it happens in UP too)

I have patched src/sys/kern/kern_poll.c to support higher burst_max values:
#define MAX_POLL_BURST_MAX      10000

When setting kern.polling.burst_max to higher values, the server reach a point, where cpu-usage goes up without load, so try to keep below this values. I also have set the network card to 4096 rx-"ram", to have more room for late polls.

Kind regards,
        Ingo Flaschberger