Hi Mike,

Mike Makonnen wrote:

[snip]

sharing applications which were hogging all the bandwidth. I looked for programs that would allow me to shape traffic according to the application layer protocol, but couldn't find any for FreeBSD. I found a couple: l7-filter and ipp2p, but these are Linux specific. So, I decided to write one. The result is ipfw-classifyd :
http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/ipfw-classifyd.tar.bz2

[snip]

Unfortunately, I suspect you should have looked a bit harder: Bro (http://www.bro-ids.org/) or Snort (http://www.snort.org/), both of which are in the FreeBSD ports tree, would have saved you from reinventing the wheel.

Cheers,
Lawrence