Randy Bush wrote:
my fix to all this has been
   /usr/ports/dns/unbound  (cache only)
or
   /usr/ports/dns/nsd      (auth only)

and the developers/porters are constructive and friendly

Oddly enough I think of myself as constructive and friendly. :) However I can't make a default configuration that fits everyone's needs. I can only do what I can to make it safe by default.

Of course the two alternatives you listed are good ones, and I encourage my clients to investigate them for their environments even if they continue using BIND since IMO diversity is a good thing, helps improve resilience, etc.

Doug