On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Arno J. Klaassen wrote:

However, the "request/respones" tests are awfull for my notebook (test repeated on the notebook for the sake of conviction) :

Is it possible to rerun these tests with a 7.0 kernel of the same general configuration? That would help us determine if it's a regression between 7.0 and 7.1,

7.0-RELEASE-p4 kernel (and 7.1 world) as well as 7.0-RELEASE life-cd give same results : great streaming, very poor request/response

Thanks for testing this -- it rules out a host of potential issues that could have been from changes in flight between 7.0 and 7.1, which is very helpful. At least for me, since I made many of those changes :-).

or perhaps a more general issue between 6.x and 7.x.

nve(4) does not recognise this chip.

If someone does have a bootable 6-stable .iso with a backported nfe(4) ... or email if_nfe.ko to me and I will tes under 6-stable

For now I will test the patches Pyun and Luigi sent me and let you know.

OK. I'll drop out of the loop on this one unless it's determined that the network stack itself is implicated rather than the drivers.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge