Get Intel NIC's, and the fastest clockspeed CPU you can find. I'd recommend:

Intel Core i5 670 (3.46GHz)
Supermicro X8SIL-F Motherboard (includes KVM over IP)

Дмитрий Замураев wrote:
2010/3/16 Jon Otterholm <jon.otterh...@ide.resurscentrum.se>:
Narrowed it down to the following:

Intel Q9650 3,0Ghz
Intel i7-965/975 3,2Ghz/3,33Ghz

What would be the benefit from a Xeon?

The router will be running IPFW and Dummynet for traffic-shaping. Along with
that, standard services like dhcpd.

Xeons usually got more cache memory on board and mean to work on
servers (read: stable). And of course there should be ECC memory.
Xeon may work in multi-CPU servers.
Speaking of routers, you have multicore (2CPU x 4cores = 8cores)
machine with 1-2-3 NIC's, and can't load other cores in CPU
(earlier versions before FBSD 8.x).

You need NIC with MSI (Interrupt Moderation) for better performance.

1. What kind of traffic did you expect?
2. What flow bit per seconds did you expect?

I  have PPPoE concentrator based on S3000AHV motherboard with EXPI9400
and EXPI9402 NIC's and Core2Quad Q6600 CPU and FreeBSD 7.2.
This  router  may handle about 150k pps and 1Gbps for one direction of
internet traffic.
Do you need core i5/7 ?

Re: Choosing CPU for router
In the process to build a new router and want to choose the best possible
CPU for the job.

Narrowed it down to the following:

Intel Q9650 3,0Ghz
Intel i7-965/975 3,2Ghz/3,33Ghz

What would be the benefit from a Xeon?

Motherboard: Supermicro X8SBI-4LN.
RAM: 4GB

The router will be running IPFW and Dummynet for traffic-shaping. Along with
that, standard services like dhcpd.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Xeons usually got more cache memory on board and mean to work on
servers (read: stable). And of course there should be ECC memory.
AFAIK you can't install more than one CORE cpu onto multicpu
motherboard but you can do so with XEON.

Did you mean this:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8STi-LN4.cfm
board?