On Sunday 10 October 2010 09:27:30 Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 08:46:41PM +0200, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 October 2010 08:02:39 Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > > Much better!  "airodump-ng iwi0" now sees stations in addition to APs,
> > > which means it can utilize monitor mode.  "ifconfig iwi0 scan" however
> > > does not work after that (and "list scan" returns no results) even if I
> > > put adapter back to normal (from promisc and monitor modes) with
> > > ifconfig(8).  kldunloading and loading module again fixes the issue.
> >
> > Due to enqueueing the scan command in an infinite loop (yeah.. scanning
> > returns every frame, that's monitor mode for that device.. *sigh*) we
> > might increment a queue index but never actually dequeueing the command.
> > On 'down' we clear the command queue but not the indices resulting in
> > the cur index not pointing to a filled entry. Attached patch should fix
> > that.
>
> It does, thanks!  "list scan" gets populated after I -mediaopt monitor
> after scan; module reload is not required anymore.  Do I read you correctly
> that seeing no results for "list scan" is OK while card is in monitor mode?

Yes. In monitor mode no frames are handled by net80211, frames are just passed
to bpf and that's it. This also means the no scan cache is filled.

> > On a side note, you should never be required to run 'ifconfig dev scan',
> > because after 'ifconfig dev up' the device is always in SCAN state (at
> > least in station mode). Using 'ifconfig dev list scan' is sufficient
> > enough.
>
> Certainly.  I was meant to say that "list scan" returned no results, and
> "forcing" the scan (despite that background scan is in progress) would
> never return either.
>
> > It might be possible with lots of ugly hacks to get that device sending
> > some kind of frames, 'injecting' those frames via net80211 shouldn't be
> > that hard. At least the code is there according to comments in
> > ieee80211_output.c. I do not consider this worth the effort though, if
> > someone wants to work on that, let me know.
>
> I might want to take a look when time permits.

You might want to start by filling in the missing ic_raw_xmit function,
probably by ignoring the 'raw' part of the functionality.

> > > Apart from that, machine seems stable, and monitor mode is fixed.
> > > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > You're welcome :)
>
> Hope to see the final set of patches in RELENG_7 soon.  ;-)

If there aren't any new issues coming up (I'll do some more test today), v2 +
the queue fix will hit head soon.

--
Bernhard