Hi,

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:

Hi.

I'm trying to get a working freebsd workstation with an ipv6 network where addresses are received from DHCP. ATM my IPv6 setup copies the IPv4 layout with vlans and /24 masks, so I'm using /120 prefixes.
Is that even possible ?
As the Handbook lacks any information about such setup, I decided to ask for help here.

why not just use /64 prefixes ? You have 16 bits in your /48 to each
ipv4 /24 network to an ipv6 /64 network.

Don't fight the system.

Greetings
Christian

Currently I'm having problems with prefixes.
I'm using the net/isc-dhcp41-client port (as the dhclient from the base system is unable to work with DHCPv6).
I have a working rtadvd on a router, and a working DHCPv6 setup.
But my client FreeBSD still gets 64 prefix length, with or without running rtsold. Since DHCPv6 doesn't advertise any routing information at all (including the prefix information), and its only function is to provide the client with an address, I assume that the prefix information has to be received from the router advertisements. I am currently looking at the wireshark dump, and it appears that my workstation is receiving such advertisements. However it doesn't affect the 64 prefix displayed in ifconfig, and all operation involving the nodes outside the actual link are simply not working.

Also I want to say that other operating systems on the same link are working properly (for example they can exchange with nodes in other networks).

Thanks.

Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   c...@cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone:   +49 7032 893 997 - 0          D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax:     +49 7032 893 997 - 9          HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web:     http://www.cksoft.de/         Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer