On 8/10/2012 11:24 PM, Karl Pielorz wrote:

Hi,

Apologies for posting to -net as well - I originally posted this to -hackers,
but was advised to re-post it here...

A FreeBSD 9.0-R amd64 box - based on a SuperMicro X8DTL-IF Rev. 2.01 w/Intel  L5630
& 6Gb of RAM seems to have issues with it's onboard NIC (em driver based - i.e.
em0).

The machine runs fine - but then suddenly loses all network connectivity.
Nothing is logged on the console, or /var/log/messages.

Doing an 'infconfig em0 down' then up, doesn't fix it. Rebooting the box does fix it "for a while". Having dug around Google - I've now set "hw.em.enable_msix=0" - the box ran the whole of the day with that set, before again - having em0 wedge up.

When it does this 'netstat -n -i' returns "silly" figures - i.e. if I catch it even moments after it's done it - it'll claim to have suffered billions of input/output and collision errors (huge amounts more than the amount of traffic that machine would have handled) - e.g.

"
Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs Idrop    Opkts Oerrs
 Coll
em0    1500 <Link#5>      00:25:90:31:82:46 355482 10612864185945     0 291109
3032246910270 1516123455135
"
82574L with ASPM enabled is known to cause a problem like yours.
(See:http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=82574L+%2B+ASPM
<http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=82574L+%2B+ASPM>)
However, some time ago, jack committed a fix which disabled ASPM to fix the
problem.
I recommend getting and compiling latest e1000 source from CVS (which is
version 7.3.2)
and see what happens.