The pf isn't a process, so you can't see it in top. pf has some helper
threads however, but packet processing isn't performed by any of them.

But the work pf does would show up in 'system' on top right? So if I see all my CPUs tied up 100% in 'interrupts' and very little 'system', would it be a reasonable assumption to think that if I got more CPU cores to handle the interrupts that eventually I would see 'system' load increase as the interrupt load became faster to be handled? And thus increase my bandwidth?

In other words, until I see like 100% system usage in one core, I would have room to grow?

Sorry for being dense, just trying to squeeze every ounce of blood out of this box that I can... ;) Unfortunately I can't move to FreeBSD 10 because this is a pfSense box and they are locked on 8.1 at the moment for the version I'm running. They are eyeing version 10 for a future release but it may be a year or more before that gets released.