On 9 Dec 2014, at 16:10, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:

Hi All,

In our relatively small environment, I'm looking for pointers in testing 10Gbit network performance, for internet-facing connectivity. Our enviornment employs pairs of routers running FreeBSD- also utilizing PF, CARP, and PFSYNC.

We have 2 core problems testing the 10Gbit interfaces:

1) A lack of external options on the internet for testing. We've found it non-trivial to adequately saturate a 10Gbit internet connection in 2014, (without having one or two more 10Gbit connections to saturate). We simply don't have enough outside resources we control to saturate our lines for reasonable tests.

2) We've done our homework on testing, but would love any input from this audience about ways to measure any of these:
- PPS (easier)
- Maximum Socket Connections (easier)
- New Socket Connections per Second (harder!)
- Redline Throughput (easier)
- Ways to measure PF performance, (state handling, etc...)
- Ways to start measure/test ALTQ based shaping, as we experiment with it.

Thanks for any input!

Take a look at some of the scripts in my netperf project:

g...@github.com:gvnn3/netperf.git

That uses Conductor:

https://github.com/gvnn3/conductor

which is still under development,
but the packet generation is just pkt-gen on FreeBSD with netmap capable 10G cards (Chelsio or Intel).

Bet,
George