On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 01:17:12PM +0000, Matt Dooner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Confirming the link configuration was a good
> exercise, but I think I've been able to rule it out as the issue.
> 100baseTX <half-duplex> appears to be the configuration request by the
> switch the board was plugged into. I have connected the 335x board
> directly to two other systems (windows and freebsd) and the correct
> configuration is negotiated when either or both are set to auto (If I
> change the configuration on one machine the other updates its
> configuration accordingly). I have also tested setting the link
> manually on both systems. I have also confirmed that my two other
> systems can connect with each other and the switch.
>
> I've connected the 335x board directly to another FreeBSD 10.1
> (desktop) system. The desktop uses the fxp-miibus-inphy driver combo.
> I ifconfig 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 and ifconfig 192.168.0.2
> 255.255.255.0 each system respectively. I also setup default routes
> between them. When I create traffic (ping) on either machine I see the
> following incremented on the 335x:
>
> dev.cpsw.0.stats.GoodTxFrames: 64
> dev.cpsw.0.stats.BroadcastTxFrames: 64
> dev.cpsw.0.stats.RxTx65to127OctetFrames: 64
>
> and on the desktop:
>
> dev.fxp.0.status.tx.good_frames: 3
>
> All other stats on both the 335x and desktop are zero.

Good to know you've solved the issue.

> I am able to follow similar steps to build a working network between
> the desktop and a windows laptop.
>
> Do you know if atphy(4) has been previously tested to work on the
> AR8033 or even the AR8031? miidevs only has an entry for AR8021. I've

No I'm not aware of that.

> only found limited information about the PHY being used, but its from
> OpenBSD and the wrong cpu type. These is also a note in the change
> logs about this hardware "Added atphy(4) to armv7, for the Atheros
> AR8031 phys in the AM335x starter kit."
> (http://www.openbsd.org/plus57.html)
>
> openbsd-current
> sys\arch\armv7\imx\imxenet.c:
>  466:     case BOARD_ID_IMX6_WANDBOARD:        /* AR8031 */
>   467          /* disable SmartEEE */
>   468          imxenet_miibus_writereg(dev, phy, 0x0d, 0x0003);
>   472          imxenet_miibus_writereg(dev, phy, 0x0e, reg & ~0x0100);
>   473
>   474:         /* enable 125MHz clk output for AR8031 */
>   475          imxenet_miibus_writereg(dev, phy, 0x0d, 0x0007);
>   476          imxenet_miibus_writereg(dev, phy, 0x0e, 0x8016);
>
> important configure pin mux and work mode to RGMII mode."
>
> It seems that some additional driver development will likely be required.

I don't have datasheet for AR8031/AR8033 PHYs so I'm not sure
whether it's doable to apply PHY config magic above to atphy(4).
I'm under the impression that AR8031/AR8035 may have some other
special registers that report resolved speed/duplex and it shall
require a new PHY driver.  Linux seems to have slightly better
comment for those PHYs though.