On 11/5/15 10:31 AM, Victor Sudakov wrote:
Neel Natu wrote:
Julian Elischer wrote:
I am experimenting with bhyve which uses tap(4) for network access.

I don't want to bridge tap0 with any of the hosts's real NICs. How can
I create a private network just between the host and the guest?
you are thinking too hard!

tap IS the interface..

ifconfig tap0 $address...
and in the VM, ifconfig vtnet0 ${some_other_address}
Thank you, Julian! It works. I felt I was missing something obvious.
For some reason, after a guest is shutdown or rebooted, the IP address
on the host's tap0 interface is deleted.

Try using 'vmnet0' instead of 'tap0'. It will retain the IP address
even after a guest reboot/shutdown.
Thanks, I see now vmnet is documented in tap(4).
I didn't know that...
Ok, so now you are an expert, can we count on you to answer all future questions on this topic? ;-)