On 3/10/2016 12:22 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
On 01/10/2016 03:55, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
Achilleas Mantzios wrote this message on Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 13:26 +0300:
We have a weird situation here. We just made a clone of a virtual image running Linux and sent it over to some could provider. The problem is that the scp performance to *many* hosts in our office
center has worsened considerably, including one freebsd box.

In this freebsd box I run also a jail, and a linux ubuntu image with bhyve. The crazy thing here is that :

1) scp from the original (local office center) linux image to the host FreeBSD, its jailed FreeBSD and its bhyve linux is 2.7 MB/s 2) scp from the cloud linux image to the host FreeBSD is slow (~300KB/s) 3) scp from the cloud linux image to the above FreeBSD's jail is slow(~300KB/s) 4) scp from the cloud linux image to the above FreeBSD's bhyve ubuntu is fast(~1->1.5MB/s)

What can cause this behavior?

PS
Please answer to me directly as I am not subscribed to -net.
Thanks a lot for any ideas.
I worked on this last year a bit, but was never able to track it down.

It may be an issue w/ internal SSH's buffering not growing properly to
handle the latency.

I posted some info on the wiki about this:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SSHPerf

Thanks tons!
In this case of mine, just playing around with HPN:

HPNDisabled no
HPNBufferSize 8192
of course we just removed the HPN option for FreebSD's ssh/scp
what version are you using?

in sshd_config was enough to bring it on par with linux.