Freddie Cash wrote:

> Ah, ok, now I see what you mean by "quasi-enterprise WiFi). You are looking
> for a way to create an encrypted wireless connection where a
> username/password combo is used instead of a PSK, using something like (but
> not as heavy as) 802.1x.

I don't even need an *encrypted* wireless connection, these
username/login pairs are not precious, and the traffic is just
Internet.

Yet another problem with captive portals is that not all client
applications are web browsers. I personally get very annoyed when my
mobile RSS reader or some other app does not work until I visit some
stupid web page.

> Can't help with that. We stayed down the 802.1x path, had a working RADIUS
> setup, but balked at all the setup that would be required on the end-user
> devices and abandoned it.
>
> There may be a way to do it automatically nowadays, without requiring
> client certs and 802.1x clients, but we haven't looked into it in over 5
> years.

Yes, that's what I'm looking for, without requiring client certs and
802.1x clients.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
AS43859