On 25/06/2018 15:00, Glen Barber wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 07:31:53AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
On 24/06/2018 22:29, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
On 24/06/2018 17:16, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
Hi All,

This list states that 10-Stable supports Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet
controller:

https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/10-STABLE/hardware/support.html

However, similar list for 11-Stable doesn't list that driver:

https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/11-STABLE/hardware/support.html

Does it mean that the driver has been removed, and if yes then why?
I believe it was a "added" feature in 10 stable, my 11 stable
alc(4) man page lists the E2500 as supported.

        The alc device driver provides support for the following Ethernet
        controllers:

        o   Atheros AR8131 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8132 PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8151 v1.0 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8151 v2.0 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8152 v1.1 PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8152 v2.0 PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8161 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8162 PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8171 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
        o   Atheros AR8172 PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
        o   Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet controller
        o   Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet controller
        o   Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet controller

Yeah, listing drivers in alc shows support for that card. But the whole
alc driver isn't listed on the hardware support page for 11-Stable. So
wanted to check if it's an omission or it was removed deliberately.
Which page are you looking at, it needs fixed.

@x230a:/ # ls -lag /boot/kernel/if_alc.ko
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  84912 Jul 21  2017 /boot/kernel/if_alc.ko
@x230a:/ # uname -UK
1101001 1101001

The one listed in my email:

https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/11-STABLE/hardware/support.html

alc(4) isn't listed there.
Thank you, I should of reread the whole of the message before I
asked you to repeat your self.

I have checked the 11.0R 11.1R release notes at:
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/relnotes.html
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.1R/relnotes.html

and the infact do list alc(4) correctly, so I have sent an internal
mail to Release Engineering so that we can track down why the
release notes at
https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/11-STABLE/hardware/support.html
are not reflecting this.

I suspect this happened in a transition that recently occured
to the repository location that the release notes are stored in/
generated from.

For 11.x, no, this is not the case.  That change was only in 12-CURRENT,
and was not retroactively applied to stable branches due to a problem
that is outstanding with the hardware page generation for 12.

That said, I'll try to track down where exactly this driver went missing
from the hardware page, but it is too late to fix it for the 11.2
release.  It can be noted in an errata entry, however, and a link to the
11-STABLE page once it is fixed there.

Glen

Great, thanks Glen and Rodney. Am I then to understand that this is a documentation issue, rather than the actual driver being removed?