alan somers wrote:
On Sat, Sep 29, 2018, 11:24 PM Victor Sudakov <v...@mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:

Alan Somers wrote:

When running FreeBSD as an IPv6 host im SLAAC mode, is
"rtsold_enable=YES" really necessary? I did not enable rtsold and IPv6
still works fine only with

fconfig_re0=""
ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

What would be the point of enabling rtsold then?

The router may send a router advertisement whenever it wants.  That's why
your machine seems to work even without rtsold.  However, SLAAC addresses
expire after a certain amount of time.  rtsold will ask the router for a
new advertisement before your address expires.  You aren't guaranteed to
have problems if you don't run rtsold, but you aren't guaranteed not to
have problems if you don't.  Best to let it run.

I see the point but who on earth sent the initial router solicitation
on boot if I never enabled rtsold?

I have not found rtsold in /etc/rc.d/netif or similar startup script.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

The rtsol command will send a single router solicitation. It's probably
getting invoked on startup. Or, you might've just gotten lucky and heard an
unsolicited router advertisement.

Indeed, it's called from /etc/network.subr if rtsold is NOT enabled.