On 19/11/2019 03:49, Mike Karels wrote:
Hi All

Still trying to run FreeBSD-box as multicast router :-)

FreeBSD upgraded to 11.3-STABLE #1 r354778. netstat pacth by Mike Karels
manually applied and netstat -gs looks OK now.

Latest pimd version 3.0beta1 downloaded from git and configured. While
configure it report following:

=====
------------------ Summary ------------------
   pimd version 3.0-beta1
    Prefix................: /usr/local
    Sysconfdir............: /usr/local/etc
    Localstatedir.........: /usr/local/var
    C Compiler............: cc -g -O2

Optional features:
    Kernel register encap.: no
    Kernel (*,G) support..: no
    Kernel MAX VIFs.......: 32
    Memory save...........: no
    RSRR (experimental)...: no
    Exit on error.........: yes
=====

What does "Kernel (*,G) support..: no" means?

Then my test multicast network configured (again)
          --------------------          ----------
-vlan298-| FreeBSD PIM router |-vlan299-| client |
         |208.34/29   205.2/29|         |205.5/29|
          --------------------          ----------

Two multicast generated by FreeBSD-router: one (232.232.9.43) sended
from vlan299 and another (232.232.88.173) from vlan298 both with TTL=20

Pimd started with following config:
=====
phyint vlan299 enable ttl-threshold 20
phyint vlan298 enable ttl-threshold 20
rp-address 10.200.205.2 232.232.0.0/16
=====

If the threshold is 20 and the TTL is 20, does that mean that the TTL is
just high enough, or is it at the cutoff?  I'd try lowering the threshold
and/or increasing the TTL to see which it is.  If the TTL is 20 on the
incoming side, it would be 19 on the outgoing side.

ttl-threshold changed to 10 in pimd.conf. `netstat -g` reports Thresh=10 now.

Locally FreeBSD-router generated multicast vlan299 comes to receiver with ttl=20. And it's OK.

Locally FreeBSD-router generated multicast vlan298 does not comes to receiver.

Multicast generated from another sender on vlan298 comes to router with TTL=20 but never comes to receiver via vlan299

Now client is requesting multicast which router is sending from vlan299
and client successfully receiving it.  But when client is requests
multicast sending (by router) from vlan298 it doesn't receive it.

My first question: (in theory) is router must send multicast to client
in this situation?

In theory yes, modulo TTL and other checks.

I will reconfigure my test network to use dedicated FreeBSD-box as multicast router with two only multicast interfaces to get more clear info from `netstat -gs`

Also pimd periodically reports following
=====
Kernel busy, retrying (1/3) routing socket read in one sec
=====

Is it OK?

And more about pimd. It creates register_vif0 on startup. I assume it uses this interface (not reported by `ifconfig`) to route all multicast via. But `netstat -g` reports this interface with threshold=1. Is it OK?

--
CU,
Victor Gamov