On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 01:55:52PM +0200, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> > On 31. Aug 2020, at 10:37, Julien Cigar <jul...@perdition.city> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 04:52:01PM +0200, Julien Cigar wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a "highly available" router/firewall with the following
> >> configuration (1). Those are plugged in two 2930F (with VSF) using LACP.
> >> It works well, except that I have some weird issues with the CARP
> >> demotion counter when I'm unplugging some interfaces involved in the
> >> lagg/carp setup, for example if I unplug/replug igb0 and igb1 in this
> >> case:
> >>
> >> (dmesg):
> >> igb0: link state changed to DOWN
> >> igb1: link state changed to DOWN
> >> carp: demoted by 240 to 240 (send error 50 on vlan11)
> >> carp: 11@vlan11: MASTER -> BACKUP (more frequent advertisement received)
> >> vlan11: deletion failed: 3
> >> igb1: link state changed to UP
> >> igb0: link state changed to UP
> >>
> >> then the CARP status stays to BACKUP unless I demote the CARP demotion
> >> counter manually with: sudo sysctl net.inet.carp.demotion=-240:
> >>
> >> (dmesg):
> >> carp: demoted by -240 to 0 (sysctl)
> >> carp: 11@vlan11: BACKUP -> MASTER (preempting a slower master)
> >>
> >> I guess this is because it takes some time for lagg/lacp to converge and
> >> thus carp thinks that there is a problematic condition as it experiences
> >> problems with sending announcements..
> >>
> >> What it the best way to handle this?
> >
> > I'm wondering if setting net.inet.carp.senderr_demotion_factor to "0"
> > could be a solution? Are there any downsides of setting this to "0"
> > instead of "240"?
> >

> Sharing your pf.conf from both hosts could be helpful analyzing the issue.

Here is my pf.conf (it's the same on both host):
https://gist.github.com/silenius/b758851f03c28ef8caaa53cfe381c455

However, I don't think pf is the issue here, the problem is that there
is a slight delay when LAGG/LACP converge and thus CARP increase the
demotion counter by net.inet.carp.senderr_demotion_factor (240).

--
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform (http://www.biodiversity.be)