Hi,

I hope someone more knowledgeable then me in IPv6 affairs can give an informed
opinion on the following:

As far as I know, an IPv6 host initially tries to perform Duplicate Address
Detection, as well as Neighbor Discovery / Neighbor Solicitation. All of this
typically works on Ethernet, by mapping into a well-known Ethernet multicast
destination MAC “33-33-xx-xx-xx-xx”.

However, IPv6 Multicast addresses are largely indendent of the above protocols
(afaik) and can be freely defined in the IPv6 address space. A “proper”
(non-local) IPv6 multicast is formed by a Host registering via MLD, and again
mapping packets destinged to a partical IPv6 multicast group into a similarly
formed Ethernet MAC 33-33-xx-xx-xx-xx.

It appears that some vendors of switches have started to become overly
restrictive in forwarding Ethernet Multicast, and only deliver these *after* a
Host has registered itself to receive / participate in specific IPv6 Multicast
groups.

A bit similar to IGMP snooping, with the difference that in v4, crucial basic
information was exchanged using Eth broadcasts (ARP) rather than Eth Multicasts
which look alike “data” IPv6 multicast.

So far, I could not find any guidance (and with my lack of depth into IPv6, it
is also unclear to me, if this would even be possible) if registering a host
into a IPv6 MC group via MLDv2 in order for it to receive NS, ND, DAD is
something that would be expected…

Best regards,
   Richard