> On 7. Aug 2022, at 9:38 AM, Doug Rabson <d...@rabson.org> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is here? I'm using dhcpcd client in my home lab
> with pfsense acting as dhcp and dhcp6 server and it works great, including
> prefix delegation. Choosing a new dhcp client in FreeBSD certainly doesn't
> require {pf,opn}sense to use that client.

Good, but keep in mind that your home lab is not millions of downstream users.
;)

> Main thing that's missing for me is dynamic dns - my dhcp server updates my
> local DNS using ddns. This works well for ipv4 and I've been using it this
> way for years. For ipv6, rtsold is limited to handing advertising the local
> prefix. Using dhcpcd for both means I get both A and AAAA records in my local
> DNS which makes me happy.

Dynamic AAAA records for client leases is a problem, but isn't that also a
general issue with isc-dhcpd?  What's your main DHCP server for IPv6?

> Again, not seeing the harm for either OPNsense or pfSense - these
> distributions are free to choose another client.

If you want to say "not my work, not my harm" that's possibly fine, but not
well-rounded in a real world setting as indicated by your former status.

It is still a lot of work to get it working mostly like it did before and at
least one FreeBSD major release will suffer from the inferiority of switching
to a new integration.  I'm sure disrupting basic IPv4 DHCP capability which was
always working prior will come as a surprise to people involved in green
lighting
this, but this is likely an unavoidable consequence of the proposal.

Cheers,
Franco