On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 12:14:25PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some thoughts about this topic.
>
> Delaying ACKs means loss of performance when using Gigabit TCP
> connections in data centers. There it is important to ACK the data as
> quick as possible, to avoid running out of TCP window space. Thinking
> about TCP connections at 30 GBit/s and above!
>
> I think the implementation should be exactly like it is.
>
> There is a software LRO in FreeBSD to coalesce the ACKs before they hit
> the network stack, so there are no real problems there.

Changing the ACK ratio seems to be okay in most cases, a paper I wrote
about this was published this week:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/sat.1466

It focuses on QUIC, but congestion control dynamics don't change with
the protocol. You should be able to read there, but if not I'm happy to
send anyone a pdf.

- Tom