> On Jun 26, 2024, at 2:24 PM, Marek Zarychta <zarych...@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl>
> wrote:
>
> W dniu 26.06.2024 o 06:55, Zhenlei Huang pisze:
>>
>>  The MFC is Done !
>>
>> Marek has extensive testing with them. I did stress testing on my dev
>> machine. No known issues so far.
> Thank you very much for the MFC of the commits set I suggested. I have been
> testing these changes for several weeks on 10+ various hosts, including
> servers and routers, and I only see positive changes. I hope that no
> important commit was omitted in selecting the set for this MFC and there will
> be no complaints.
>
> The only thing I would suggest is to change in future the default value of
> net.inet6.icmp6.errppslimit to 200. It will be the same value as defaults for
> net.inet.icmp.icmplim. In my case it was required to silence spurious
> warnings on two web servers and BGP router.

The value 100 of tunable `net.inet6.icmp6.errppslimit` dates back to 2000, the
first time it was introduced [1].

I do not find any RFCs that has recommendation value for it. RFC 4443 section
2.4 (f) [2] has an example default of 10 that
is much smaller ( for small/mid-size devices ).

I expect the default value of net.inet6.icmp6.errppslimit will stay 100 for
much longer time  ;)

1.
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/sys/netinet6/in6_proto.c?h=stable/7&id=686cdd19b1b182f2257bc158116e78c5fef84980

2. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4443.html#section-2.4