Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eric Anderson writes:

I'll be honest here, I don't care much if the speed difference between 4.X and 5.X is measureable, or whatever. What I find is a little telling of an issue somewhere, is that READS are slower than WRITES! This is totally bogus to me - [...]

If the disk has bad sectors or other hardware issues, this is not an atypical result.

The drives I have report this using SMART and the counters stay at zero. Yes, we've seen the counters go nonzero when problems do exist.

Pete