I was doing a dd of dev/zero into a file on a UFS2 filesystem
(softupdates disabled) on a clean 5.4-R system.

I see the same issue on RELENG_5 with IDE disk. However, on
FreeBSD nfs.sentex.ca 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #1: Fri Jun 17

No such issue against an IDE drive as well as an ARECA RAID5 array. The box is quite responsive while blasting the disks

Also just tested against a RELENG_5 box and a twe RAID1 array and no problems. The system is totally responsive while doing So it might be the IDE drivers on RELENG_5 ? Perhaps try [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s backport of the CURRENT IDE drivers to stable.

---Mike