From: Daniel Gerzo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 2:59 PM
To: Shawn Mitchell
Cc: 'Michael Vince'; 'Steve Roome'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re[2]: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Nemam dobru naladu Shawn,

Saturday, June 25, 2005, 7:26:22 PM, si odoslal:

I tested a MySQL install on a Dell 6600.  It's specs were 8 GB ram, 12 x
73
15k rpm drives (Ultra320) on a RAID5, 4 Xeon MP w/ 2 meg of cache, HT
enabled so the OS saw 8 CPU's.

Every time, a stock linux install (SuSE, CentOS, and Fedora) were always
faster than FreeBSD stock, or custom kernel utilizing different options.

I never could fully benchmark it running on Linux; as I never got the
server
to max out before my benchmarking machine maxed out.

If your using 4.x, add these to your config file

options         MAXDSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"
options         MAXSSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"
options         DFLDSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"

these are not possible to use under 5.x?

I noticed a HUGE difference on FreeBSD with those added, but it still
doesn't crank up there with Linux.

Also, default linux install's do not make it use more ram.  You still have
to copy one of the my-xxx.cnf files over to /etc/my.cnf or
/usr/local/etc/my.cnf

MySQL is developed on Linux, and ported to FreeBSD.  That's the best
explanation you'll get probably.

Your posting a lot of configuration here except the most easily important one for performance in MySQL, thats your my.cnf configuration
file
You will more then double your performance if you just start off by
copying
/usr/local/share/mysql/my-large.cnf
/var/db/mysql
MySQL out of the box setup to use a tiny amount of ram and it wouldn't
surprise me if a lot of Linux distributions have a much more high performance my.cnf file since most distributions are aimed at people who
don't know what they are doing.