A bit late, but... :)

Shane Ambler wrote:

On 18/8/05 12:40 AM, "Shane Ambler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

n 17/8/05 9:43 PM, "Claus Guttesen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Apart from apache there is sendmail and ssh running (and the basics such as
tty's, cron and syslog)
All pages are php.
Any ideas on how I can get response times up?
Are you  running apache 1.3 or 2.0? Is httpd.conf configured *not* to
do reverse dns-look-up, 'HostnameLookups Off'. Try setting 'KeepAlive
Off' if set to on.

erver version: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)
Server built:   Feb 10 2005 12:34:22

KeepAlive on
HostnameLookup off

I'll try changing KeepAlive

Setting KeepAlive off seemed to make improvements initially but it has
slowed down again (2 hours later) - maybe I need to look at caching?
Keepalive Off shouldn´t really help much if Apache is not topping the maximum number of processes. For what it seems (to me), the problem is not directly apache-related, but maybe PHP, Mysql or some other "peripheral" system, since CPU and proccess usage is not the bottleneck. Anyway, there are a few tricks I can suggest - excuses if some are too elementary, but these could also help other people: ;) 1) Apache: check "Min/Max SpareServers", "Startservers" (which I guess, from your first message, it´s set to 150) and (important) "MaxClients". If they´re set to reasonable values, then the problem is probably elsewhere; 2) PHP: try varying some settings in phi.ini (usually in /usr/local/etc). Ports intallations suggest tuning "output_buffering" and I would also suggest you to look at memory_limit. It could be also a good idea to enable error logging to figure out if other settings are insufficient; 3) Mysql: there seems to be some performance issues with this one. There´s a not-so-old thread discussing Mysql performance in FBSD compared to Linux, and even though our Mysql usage in FBSD here at work is almost to be ignored, :) there are some good performance tips in there that helped; 4) and, finally, OS&hardware: try to see how much memory is effectively being used and by who; maybe some apps (like PHP) are auto-limiting their memory use. Also, there has been a few issues with I/O in 5.4, specially with RAID and fxp subsystems - e.g.: I just raised by about 20-30% disk transfer rates on a DL380 and by 50% on a ML-110 with Highpoint RR1820A. ;)

 Don´t the logs show any anormality (massive crashes, timeouts, etc.)?
 I hope this all could help. Have luck,

Tulio G. da Silva