Francisco Reyes wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Joseph Koshy wrote:

Is there a way to find out which program(s) are causing
the I/O?

ktrace(8); you can use it to trace all descendants of 'init'.

Looking at the man page it's non-obvious how to use it (to me).

Specially it seems one needs to indicate a pid or a command. How do I trace all programs?

Maybe you provide the init pid, and the -i option. I played with this a bit last night, and found out I really love this tool! Here's what I did to play with it:

(find pid of a bash shell running - was 1268)
In another shell:
ktrace -tni -ip 1268

In ktraced shell:
cd /
cd /tmp
touch t
cat t
rm t

In ktrace shell window:
ktrace -C
kdump | less

That should give you a quick idea how to use it. The man page is pretty decent.

Eric