Robert Watson wrote:
There are a number of TCP related configuration frobs on FreeBSD. It would be quite interesting to know how modifying each of the following settings affects Samba performance:

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack
net.inet.tcp.sack.enable
net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable

There has been recent evidence that the inflight bandwidth calculation is having problems generating stable performance at high bandwidth and low latency, so I might try that one first.
I get about ~3MB/s extra, and a 16MB/s peak, with inflight disabled, when downloading from the FreeBSD server to WindowsXP. An improvement, but still not a desirable result. The other variables do not seem to make much of a difference.