I'm not subscribed to -performance, hence why this isn't a true reply...

I noticed that Steve said:

---
Looking at this on a dual box here ( waiting for the new MB for dual dual core )
All the time is spent processing super-smack and only 25% on mysqld.
---

If you're willing to spend more time looking at this, I suggest that you run truss or ktrace on the super-smack processes. I did a small amount of mysql vs postgres vs firebird benchmarking two years ago for a class project, and noticed that mysql's results were showing the same phenomena - our test program was using more cpu than mysqld. I run truss on our test program and found that it was doing ONE BYTE READS from the socket, rather than something larger.

I never had the time to see if the problem was fixed at a later time or not. You may wish to see if that same condition is still happening.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack