On Jul 14, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Tobias P. Santos wrote:
As this server's motherboard doesn't support an additional processor, we are wondering whether a Pentium D processor (830) might help to minimize this problem. In our understanding, one core would be busy with mysqld for example, while the other one would be free to handle other processes like httpd and serve pages that don't even need mysql resources. Is this correct? Did someone have similiar (successful or unsuccessful) experiences?

Yes, in particular, the preforking design that Apache uses distributes very well amoungst multiple CPUs. There is some overhead from using SMP, you might get better performance by separating your workload into two machines, one dedicated to Apache and one dedicated to your MySQL database, but upgrading to a dual-core CPU is cheaper...

--
-Chuck