On 09/26/06 10:46, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
I am reading Richard Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment," a most excellent book.

Out of curiosity, I tried his I/O efficiency program on my IBM
A30 Thinkpad, running 6.0-RELEASE with default tuning parameters.
The test program reads file on stdin and writes to stdout, and
you modify bufsize to watch how time changes.

As in his example (with a bufsize of 8192),
    time ./a.out < 1.5M-testfile > /dev/null

runs five times faster than (clock time)
time ./a.out < 1.5M-testfile > /a.out.out

Can someone explain to me why writing is five times as slow as
writing? What's going on in the computer?
The file is not O_SYNC, so it can't be validating the data on the
disk.

Later in the same chapter, he shows the impact of O_SYNC flag. I
re-ran this experiment too, and while everything is two orders of
magnitude faster than his times in the book, the relative speed
of writing with O_SYNC is three times slower.

                     1993       2006
    normal write     2.3s       .023s
    O_SYNC          13.4s       .364s
    slowdow factor   5.8        15.8

Is this all b/c disks are so much larger?

It's probably because of caching on the disk. The normal write goes in/out of the on-disk cache, the O_SYNC may be forced to go to the platters.

Also, if you didn't already, you should run the test many times, umounting/mounting the filesystem in question in between each test. Also, I recommend using a block device, instead of a file on a filesystem, since the filesystem could allocate blocks for the file differently each time, causing varying results.

Eric