At 08:09 AM 11/22/2006, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thank you for spending that much time for benchmarking, this is really
interesting.

Hi,
More to come, and if you can think of other tests let me know. Next is VLAN performance.

Though this is a little bit off topic, I'm quite puzzled by the fact
that having filtering rules on Linux or not doesn't change the result
much.  NetFitler keeps track of *all* connections even if there are no
ruleset loaded -- you don't have to ask for it

Not sure, but I would unload iptables from the kernel when testing. I will check again today as I want to go back and test the LINUX kernel in UP mode to see what difference it makes.

It would be interesting to know the real performance of Linux as a mere
router if we want a true comparision with FreeBSD performances.

As just a router, they seem fairly close without any firewall rules. RELENG_4 seems to be the only clear leader in terms of raw pps, at least in these tests. I am still puzzled by the fact that ipfw does relatively poorly compared to RELENG_4.

I also have some PCIe bge nics I will try and test. There are some patches that Bruce Evans posted and I would like to see how they perform.

---Mike