Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:32:53PM +1000, Michael Vince wrote:
Hey All,
I been benchmarking Diablo Java under AMD64 on 6.2R and using the same methods I posted a while ago detailed somewhat here
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2006-August/005576.html

The difference here is that libthr now works under Amd64.
But it appears libthr to be about half the speed of libpthread under AMD64 mode which is the opposite behavior when using it under i386.

That's contrary to my benchmarks :( Dunno what might be wrong though,
assuming you have checked all the obvious.

Kris
OK,
I did more testing and it appears the 6.1R Diablo Java binary package on Amd64 on 6.2/libthr appears to be the problem, it's as much as 60% slower then libpthread.

On 6.2R Amd64 I built the ports version of jdk1.5 and libthr appeared to be around 25% faster then libpthread. But using the Diablo jdk package for 6.1R on 6.2 under libpthread is even faster by around 15% over anything I could do for any combination of Java and libthr.

I would guess that a new 6.2R Amd64 Diablo package would probably turn it around again for libthr and I would guess it would again around 20% faster then anything I can get from Java under AMD64 6.2R, what's going on here exactly I don't know.

Cheers,
Mike