Hello,

2007/6/14, Thomas Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi

Thats sounds nice. You wrote "The goal of the PmcTools project is to
provide FreeBSD's developers and system administrators with
non-intrusive, low-overhead and innovative ways of measuring and
analysing system performance" your website. Have you ever measured the
performance impact of such tools?

No, I didn't, I just did the port.

But maybe Joseph Koshy (who is the author of PMCTools) has measurements of
the PMC library on different machines/environments. See
http://wiki.freebsd.org/PmcTools or contact him directly.

The port itself is based directly on the PMCtools (i.e. it's almost a
wrapper to convert PAPI calls into PMC calls), so I don't think that PAPI
adds too much overhead to this basic library.

I'm interested to run such tool on production machines in the future but
only if the performance impact isn't that high.

Regards,
Thomas

Harald Servat wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm glad to announce you that PAPI-3.5.0 has reached the FreeBSD ports
> tree and now it's generally available for all FreeBSD users.
>
>  Port information is available at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=papi&stype=all&sektion=devel
>
>  See http://code.google.com/p/papi-for-freebsd/wiki/HowToInstall for
> installation instructions.
>
>  There are some issues with P4 processors that need to be fixed on
> PAPI_write / PAPI_reset routines, but the package have the minimal (and
> most
> important functionality) working fine for the rest of the substrates.
>
> Regards,

Regards,
Empty your memory,
with a free()...