On 07/17/07 17:10, Jack Toering wrote:
 >I'm very delighted with our four-way woodcrest at 3 Ghz. It's a HP DL 380
G5. I have two four-way opterons at 2 Ghz but hz for hz the woodcrest is
(way) faster.<

These are things I need to hear bacause it doesn't make sense for me to
watch these things until I'm in the market because the technology moves so
fast.

The woodcrest is smokin' fast. The Core 2 Duo's (EXXXX numbers) are also very fast, so you won't be unhappy. In fact, the E6700 came out faster than woodcrest 5160 in a few tests.

Eric

It's been a couple years since I had to buy another dedicated server. Back then the AMD Opteron had it hands down. The trade press seems to be indicating the pendulum has swung the other way and AMD is in trouble, especially since the Barcelona miss. Also, over the past two years I've read how code is optimized more for the Intel. I'd like your opinion on which way to go on a new server by picking one for each category. For the same price I can get:

$159.00 Range
Dual Opteron 246
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
+ $30 and get Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz

$209.00 Range
Dual Opteron 252
+$10 Opteron 2214 2.2Ghz

$239.00 Range
Xeon 5130 2.0GHz Woodcrest
Clovertown 5310 1.6Ghz

$279.00 Range
Woodcrest 5160 Dual Core Dual 3Ghz
Opteron 2216 HE 2.4GHz

--
regards
Claus

When lenity and cruelty play for a kingdom, the gentlest gamester is the
soonest winner.

Shakespeare