Hi,

I have been running the volano java benchmark (http://www.volano.com/benchmarks.html) on an 8-core i386 system, and out of the box jdk15 on FreeBSD performs extremely poorly. The system is more than 90% idle, and profiling shows that the ~800 threads in the benchmark are spending most of their time doing short nanosleep() calls.

I traced it to the following FreeBSD-specific hack in the jdk:

// XXXBSD: understand meaning and workaround related to yield
// XXXBSD: done differently in 1.3.1, take a look
int os::sleep(Thread* thread, jlong millis, bool interruptible) {
  assert(thread == Thread::current(),  "thread consistency check");

  if (millis <= 0) {
    // NOTE: workaround for bug 4338139
    if (thread->is_Java_thread()) {
      ThreadBlockInVM tbivm((JavaThread*) thread);
// BSDXXX: Only use pthread_yield here and below if the system thread
// scheduler gives time slices to lower priority threads when yielding.
#ifdef __FreeBSD__
      os_sleep(MinSleepInterval, interruptible);
#else
      pthread_yield();
#endif

When I removed this hack (i.e. revert to pthread_yield()) I got an immediate 7-fold performance increase, which brings FreeBSD performance on par with Solaris.

What is the reason why this code is necessary? Does FreeBSD's sched_yield() really have different semantics to the other operating systems, or was this a libkse bug that was being worked around?

Kris