Kurt Miller wrote:
On Tuesday 18 September 2007 03:17:14 pm Kris Kennaway wrote:
Kurt Miller wrote:
David Xu confirmed for me that pthread_yield() does give some
time to lower priority threads on 7.0 using thr. Attached and inline
are two patches for the 1.5 port that is how I suggest the issue be
addressed.

For 7.0 and up default UseThreadPriorities to true and always
use pthread_yield(). For < 7.0 default UseThreadPriorities to
false and conditionally use pthread_yield()/os_sleep(). User's
can toggle UseThreadPriorities with the command line argument
-XX:+UseThreadPriorities
Do we know that 6.x requires the old behaviour?  Maybe it can default to
on there too.  Otherwise this looks good to my eyeball (but the
DEFAULT_LD_LIBRARY_PATH change looks unrelated)

-#define DEFAULT_LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/usr/lib" /* See ld.so.1(1) */
+#define DEFAULT_LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib" /* See
ld.so.1(1)

Yea I messed up the DEFAULT_LD_LIBRARY_PATH part. I didn't intend
to change that segment of the existing os_bsd.cpp patch.

Regarding 6.x it either needs UseThreadPriorities defaulted to false
or the os_sleep hack. After discussing the options with Daniel we
agree that defaulting UseThreadPriorities to false and eliminating
the os_sleep hack for all versions is the most consitant approach.

The following is a CVS diff of ports/java/jdk15 that updates the
port to fix the performance issue plus an alternative method
to setting DEFAULT_LD_LIBRARY_PATH without patching and
substituting it:

This looks good to me, thanks!

Kris