Robert Watson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

I agree that there's a need for an overview and some sort of notification. I've been collecting historical data to get a baseline for the statistics and I'll try to see what I can do over the next weeks.

A thumbnail page of graphs would be quite neat also. :-)

I'd like to do that, but I'm a bit afraid of hitting the webserver too hard. Data is changing constantly, so graphs are created on the fly. I could probably cache some small versions though and put them on an overview page.

At some point the ability to annotate the data will become important (e.g. "We understand the cause of this, it was r1.123 of foo.c, which was corrected in r1.124. The developer responsible has been shot.")

There's a field in the database for this sort of thing. I just think it needs some sort of authentication. That'll have to wait a bit.

Sounds great -- it would be nice to be able to have a few annotations such as "RELENG_7 branchpoint", "7.0 release", that could then appear as vertical lines in the graphs, and likewise things like "netisr made default", "libthr becomes default".

Good idea. Thanks!

Finally, in the interests of making your life more complicated, it would be neat to graph performance across a set of FreeBSD branches overlaid or vertically offset so you could monitor, say, MySQL performance on 8-CURRENT, 7-STABLE, and 6-STABLE over time.

It's supported by the tools, database and website but currently I just have 2 (slow) machines to work with at the university. The server is churning out images for the slave to consume every 2 hours which is an acceptable sample rate if the intent is to monitor CURRENT development and provide performance alerts much like the tinderboxes do now. Adding releases would seriously hurt that rate.

My focus has been strictly on comparing CVS versions because trying to cover anything else quickly makes the configuration space explode and the sample rate go down the drain. Lots of interesting comparisons could be made, however, provided sufficient hardware supplies. Comparing branches would on the top of the list.

Erik