Kris Kennaway wrote:
Brett Bump wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:

We are going to need more information about your system.  What do you
mean by "peak activity"?  What is running on the system when it performs
badly (check top -S, ps, gstat, vmstat -w, vmstat -i).  What is your
kernel configuration, dmesg and relevant aspects of the system
configuration?

Kris

I would call 120 processes with a load average of 0.03 and 99.9 idle
with 10-20 sendmail processes and 30 apache jobs nothing to write home
about.  But when that jumps to 250 processes, a load average of 30 with
50% idle (5-10 second waits on single character ssh echo) a bit busy.
That usually means my heavy pop3 users are checking in at the same time
someone (or 2 or 3) have sent email to the large volume listservs.  Proc
stat doesn't show as much as gstat and iostat.  Gstat alwasy shows my
drive with /var/mail being 97-100% busy and iostat will always show hi
tps rates, but never anything above 8MB/s (4.10 gave me 30MB/s+).

Kernel is generic with ipfirewall quota and smp (no ipfw rules yet).

OK, then you definitely need to update to 6.3, quota support in older releases had performance problems.

Actually I am not sure it was possible to merge it to 6.x, it is definitely in 7.0 though.

Kris