Claus Guttesen wrote:
we have a FreeBSD 7.0 NFS client (csup today, built world and kernel).
It mounts a Solaris 10 NFS share.
We have bad performance with 7.0 (3MB/s).
We have tried both UDP and TCP mounts, both sync and async.
This is our mount:

nest.xx.xx:/data/export/hosts/bsd7.xx.xx/ /mnt/nest.xx.xx nfs
noatime,async,-i,rw,-T,-3

Both our server (7.0 and Solaris 10) are Gigabit Ethernet, both are HP
Proliant DL360 i386 (NIC bge0):

I have a solaris 9 nfs-server (on sparc) with som TB on HDS attached
to it with two qlogic-hba's. These partitions are shared to our
webservers via nfs, according to my mrtg-graph I get approx. 8 MB/s at
peak. I can probably get more but the requirement is not there.

With four-way-servers and FreeBSD 6.2 I had a read- and write-size of
8192. I ended up with this size by copying to and from the nfs-server
until I didn't get "nfs server not responding; is alive again"
message. Then I upgraded to FreeBSD 7.0 in October 2007 on a new
eight-way-server I started to get "not responding; alive again" during
load. So I decreased rw-size to the current 2048.

When I decreased the size I also avoided another problem (by accident
:-) ). When uploading images I sometimes saw ImageMagick's convert
went into an (almost) infinite loop, comsuming 100 % cpu (on one core)
until killed. Reducing the rw-size eliminated this issue.

fstab-entry:

my.nfs.server:/archive   /archive      nfs
rw,nfsv3,-w=2048,-r=2048        0       0

I'm using udp-mounts, does not appear to change performance for my part.

HTH.

If FreeBSD is your NFS server, you should increase the number of nfsd threads to help with the "not responding" error. I usually run one nfsd thread per active client.

Eric