Quoting Attilio Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:46:29 +0100):

2008/11/23, Alexander Leidinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Quoting Attilio Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (from Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:02:22
+0100):

> pmcannotate is a tool that prints out sources of a tool (in C or
> assembly) with inlined profiling informations retrieved by a prior
> pmcstat analysis.
> If compared with things like callgraph generation, it prints out
> profiling on a per-instance basis and this can be useful to find, for
> example, badly handled caches, too high latency instructions, etc.

 Can this also be used to do some code coverage analysis? What I'm
interested in is to enable something, run some tests in userland, disable
this something, and then run a tool which tells me which parts of specific
functions where run or not.

Yes, this is exactly what it does.
You can see traces for any sampled PC and so get a profiling anslysis
on a per-instance basis.

Cool. Would be great if you could provide some example in the man page or as a script which shows how to do this for kernel code. This would immediately show us how good our regression tests are for their specific areas of test.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
In a family recipe you just discovered in an old book,
the most vital measurement will be illegible.