On 05.05.09 07:30, Mark Wong wrote:
Hi everyone,

We (PostgreSQL community) have a HP DL380 G5 that we were using to do
some very basic filesystem characterizations as part of a database
performance tuning project, so we wanted to give FreeBSD a try out of
the box.  For this set of data we used 7.1.  We're (us few that are
running the tests) are fairly unfamiliar with the community here, so
I'll be as brief as I can.  We're basically wondering if the data
we're getting out of the box is expected, and any tuning guidelines
including what changes we should expect to see in the performance.

I guess you are using the ciss driver in this box? There was a performance regression in this driver in 7.1. This should be fixed in 7.2, which came out recently. It is believed that you should get a whole lot better IO performance with 7.2 if you are using the ciss driver.

From the 7.2 release notes:

A bug in the ciss(4) driver which caused low “max device openings” count and led to poor performance has been fixed.

HTH,
Florian