I'm still hoping that FreeBSD could get back into it's shiny domain being a highly reliable and performant Berkeley UNIX like OS, so for my scientific purposes I'm still looking and watching what's going on.

I found on this slide show a talk, given by some AMD fellow, about an OpenCL compiler:

http://llvm.org/devmtg/2010-11/

(go down to the movies/slides and watch out for:

AMD OpenCL Compiler - Using LLVM to produce a cross-platform heterogeneous compiler tool chain

and enjoy).

In this talk, only OS X, Windows and Linux are explicitely mentioned. Is there no interest in supporting the *BSD, preferably FreeBSD? As far as I know, the essential backend of this chain will be the AMD graphics card driver with its CAL compiler generating the binary code. Yes, I know, bringing up the 'FreeBSD and HPC / GPGPU-issue' is naiv and maybe boring, but hope is something that can be very persistent ...

Regards,
Oliver