On 21/12/2011 15:29, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> Den 21/12/2011 kl. 15.20 skrev Randy Schultz:
>
>> I agree whole-heartedly.  I guess I wasn't clear.  I wasn't trying to say
>> most
>> SA's never tune, only that from watching other SA's over the years, little
>> tuning is done.
> As a casual SA, I often find I'm fumbling around in the dark to find out if
> my server is running optimally. I can check CPU and memory usage, but finding
> out if I could get my server to perform better by fiddling with block sizes
> or any number of sysctls is daunting. Who knows, maybe my batch jobs can
> complete 50% faster, or my CPU load can go from 20% to 10%?
>
> I really like the mysqltuner script for MySQL in this regard because it
> contains all the hard-earned experience of others and actually manages to
> suggest useful values for the configuration file for me to adjust. It would
> be great if there was something similar for FreeBSD that could suggest things
> like "hey, you are getting interrupt storms on em0, might want to check up on
> that" or "the block size on ada0 is insane for the current I/O load" or "on
> this particular hardware, try setting sysctls xxx and yyy to NNN instead" or
> "process 12345 is doing 1 billion system calls/sec, doesn't seem right".
> Something like taking the suggestions from
> http://serverfault.com/questions/64356/freebsd-performance-tuning-sysctls-loader-conf-kernel
>  and trying to guess from my specific setup which knobs might apply, and
> possibly which values.
>
> I'm perfectly aware that this is not a substitution for actually thinking,
> profiling and benchmarking, but at least I'll have a place to start.
I agree that something like mysqltuner would be great, although its such
a wide area to cover a single utility probably would not be practical.
A good start would be updating the tuning(7) man page. Its been a while
since I read it but the first paragraph regarding partition sizes is
most definitely out of date.
Time to reread it followed by groff_man(7) i guess ;)

Vince