Let me suggest an alternative.

   =
 Within the Phoronix Test Suite ecosystem, we have a
   continious
 = integration/validation system called Phoromatic

   ([1]http://www.phoromatic.c= om/).  We have a brief theory of
   operation
 on it captured
=

   [2]https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ds439pg_42hpg57m86
 .    You can see a Linux oriented tracker available at
 [3]http://ph   oromatic.com/kernel-tracker.php (the nice graphs are when
 you sel   ect 180 days and the ION 330 systems).  We've re-assigned the
 sy   stems to other projects so it is no longer being updated, but it

   serv= ed our purposes.

 This system will allow you to just de= dicate a machine to be

   updateable and pick up the directions for whic= h test to be run.
   The
 FreeBSD project (or contributors) would m= aintain the slave or
   test
 machines.  The test suite would be sel= ected and managed by
   the
 FreeBSD project or contributors.  The g= lue code to emit
   triggers
 (possibly SVN, git or other submission, or = even just
   daily) and the
 scripts to update the systems would also be    maintained by the
 FreeBSD community.

 Phoronix Me= dia would be happy to host it on Phoromatic.com
   (we've
 played with ho= sted with project branding) and provide the
   data store
 and the analyt= ics.  We'd also be willing to make
   enhancements to
 support the F= reeBSD project.

 This should solve the "I don't have ti= me to maintain a
   automated
 test infrastructure".  You don't need= to, just write the
   glue
 scripts, and dedicate a couple of machines.&= nbsp; I believe
   FreeBSD
 vendors like ixSystems may be able to support= this effort
   with a
 dedicated machine.  You can have as many mac= hines as you
   like
 demonstrating AMD/Intel/32/64/large mem/low mem,etc= .

 The comments around interactivi= ty can also be measured to
   some
 extent.  We have the model of a = "monitor".  This can be
   configured
 to determine jitter around a = number of system
   variables and to
 possibly inject actions to measure = impacts.

 We're more than happy to work with you guys, = and are willing to
   help
 do a lot of the infrastructure and automation= lifting.

 Regards,

 Matthew

 On 12/22/11 8:56 AM, Adrian Chadd wrot= e:

Guys, girls, fuzzy creatures,

This is by far the best example of a constructive email in this entire thread.

If people would like to help, Erik here is exactly the kind of person
with exactly the kind of software that needs a hand.

I think enough philosophizing has been done - now we have questions
that need answering; theories that need testing. And that requires,
you know, coding. :)

The best thing right now would be for *BSD people to pick up the
Phronix test suite, try to compile/run it, and provide feedback. Do
your own benchmarks on your own hardware and report back the results.
That's how we fix the "benchmarking problem." We don't fix it by
armchair philosophy, we fix it by getting our hands dirty. :)

2c,

Adrian

On 22 December 2011 03:21, Erik Cederstrand [4]<erik@