Il 23.03.2013 01:34 Paul Pathiakis ha scritto:
Hi,

There are several things about this that are highly suspect.

First, wipe out the hardware RAID. The processor doing RAID
computation is, probably, MUCH slower than a core on the CPU. Even if
it's RAID-1 (Simple Mirror) this RAID card is performing tasks that is
does not need to do including replicating writes to two targets from
the controller or checking it's cache, battery, etc. If it's possible
to disable the onboard cache, do it.

Hi Paul,
thanks for your suggestions (some of them I've applied before starting any consideration, like disabling all on-disk caches or controller buffers) I'll try next monday.

Anyway, the fact is that using the same hardware configuration (raid1+raid10) I saw that a centos 6.x outperformed freebsd 9.1. Another test I made yesterday was: on the same hardware I installed vmware esx 5.x and created a vm with centos inside it. The result was really impressive: the centos vm outperformed the 'real' freebsd 9.1 too and checking vmware performances graphs I didn't see any huge need for a massive throughput (I saw values from KBps to 10MBps), instead I saw a big use of CPU (using OLTP tests with a concurrency of 32 threads it's performaces began to slow down).

I don't know is using some magic value for HZ or setting some trick with scheduler, I could gain something: I hope so, because I don't want to "pinguinate" my farm :)

Thanks,
d.