>>> I did some tests with zfs, and results where appallingly bad, but that was
>>> with db size > ram.

>> I have some hardware that I ran with last week wherein I was *not* able to
>> reproduce any performance difference between ZFS and UFS2. On both UFS2 and
>> ZFS I was seeing the same performance when using a a RAID10 / set of
>> mirrors. I talked with the Dragonfly folk who originally performed these
>> tests and they also saw the same thing: no real performance difference
>> between ZFS and UFS. I ran my tests on a host with 16 drive, 10K SAS, 192GB
>> RAM. I also created a kernel profiling image and ran the 20 concurrent user
>> test under kgprof(1), dtrace, and pmcstat and have the results available:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~seanc/pg9.3-fbsd10-profiling/
>>
>> There are some investigations that are ongoing as a result of these
>> findings. The dfly methodology was observed when generating these results.
>> Stay tuned. -sc
>>

> I'm not sure that the ZFS vs UFS2 question is at the core of the
> performance problem.  We're definitely seeing marked slowdowns between
> Pg 9.2 and 9.3 on UFS2 (RAID10 + Dell H710p (mfi) raid controller with
> 1GB NVRAM)

When the working set fits in RAM (OS + PG), there isn't a performance
difference between 9.2 and 9.3.

This is a good data point. I will try and reproduce this workload and will run
the performance profiling again to see if something else pops up in the
profiling. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden
s...@chittenden.org